In the summer of 2015, owners of both Cigar Dojo and RoMa Craft sipped bourbon atop a New Orleans balcony overlooking Bourbon Street. In the late hours of the night, the outline for a project known as Whiskey Rebellion was conceived, with the eventual collaboration between the two companies arriving roughly one year later.
Now, three years after the original project set records with its one-hour sellout, RoMa Craft and Cigar Dojo have partnered once more, now showcasing the blend in its most refined format to date—a 6½” x 44 lonsdale known as Pennsatucky.
The cigars boast the same flavor-forward blend as the original, though the Pennsatucky’s thin ring gauge allows more influence from the WR’s unique Ecuador Habano Ligero wrapper. In addition to a more concentrated smoke onto the palate, flavors become slightly more spicy and mineral-forward, developing nuances of molasses, smoky hickory, cabinet spices, and sweet brown sugar throughout. Benefitting from the Nica Sueño factory’s knack for quality construction—always managing to offer a dense bunch without sacrificing the draw—the Pennsatucky can be nursed for surprisingly long smoking sessions. This blend pairs easily with dark spirits, showcasing a high flavor output without weighing your system down with strength (medium strength, medium-plus body); it’s the kind of cigar you could smoke on an everyday basis, or sit back and savor for a slow, introspective session.
Whiskey Rebellion 1794 Pennsatucky Breakdown
- Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Ligero
- Binder: Indonesian Besuki
- Filler: Nicaragua | Dominican Republic
- Factory: Fabrica de Tabacos Nica Sueño S.A. (Nicaragua)
- Production: Limited Edition (6,000 cigars)
- Vitola: 6½” x 44 “Pennsatucky”
- Price: $8.00 (MSRP)
- Flavor: Full
- Strength: Medium
- Body: Medium-plus
- Brown sugar
- Red pepper
- Smoke Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
- Pairing Recommendation: BBQ | Kentucky straight bourbon | Old fashioned cocktail | Chocolate chip cookies | Firecrackers and American flags