Cigar Dojo’s first-ever Cigar and a Movie night was a huge success! Dojo members gathered across the country (world, maybe?) for a simultaneous viewing of the Cohen brother cult classic, The Big Lebowski. Cigars were smoked, White Russians consumed, and one lucky participant went home with a care package of free cigars… win, win, WIN, right?
Our goal is to host one new movie per month and we are now ready for round II! This month, we’re featuring the British classic horror/comedy Shaun of the Dead. Released in 2004, this was Edgar Wright’s directorial debut, as well as Simon Pegg’s breakout role; although British comedy buffs know the magic really began with the duo’s cult hit Spaced—a precursor to films like Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End.
Shaun of the Dead keeps with the longstanding tradition of combining zombie gore and dark comedy—a brilliant mashup often dubbed “zom com” that harkens back to classics like The Return of the Living Dead and Braindead (Dead Alive)… only Shaun of the Dead manages to expertly inject a healthy dose of British satire and Wright’s signature, fast-paced directing style.
There are lots of witty pairings for the cigar/film/booze/beer enthusiast here, such as Viaje’s Zombie cigars, the Zombie cocktail, Bloody Marys, and Three Floyds’ Zombie Dust beer… we’re sure you’ll think of a few more.
Official hashtag: #cigarandamovie
How to Participate
- Grab yourself a copy of Shaun of the Dead. This can be a physical copy (DVD, Blu-ray, VHS… I don’t know if this one made it to VHS but if you have it, I want to see it!), online rental, or streaming.
- Grab a cigar, a drink, and a snack that you think will pair well for this movie. HINT: we recommend a Zombie cocktail and a Viaje Zombie cigar!
- IMPORTANT: Start your movie any time before 9pm (EST) and get it paused on this frame—right when the “UNIVERSAL” letters stop moving. This will allow thousands of Dojo members worldwide to be in sync for some zombie-slayin’ action. Pretty cool, eh?
- At 9pm (EST), we will send a push notification to press play. We will also post this on the Dojo timeline. If you do not see our post or push notification, just get your movie going at 9pm (EST).
- Post on the Cigar Dojo app and use #cigarandamovie with your movie/cigar-related shenanigans. Our favorite post will receive a prize pack from Master Sensei himself.
Where to find Shaun of the Dead
If you don’t already have a copy, Shaun of the Dead can be found online in various formats.
- Showtime (this is the best option – even if you don’t have a Showtime subscription, you can sign up for a 7-day free trial and then cancel after the movie ends to avoid any charges)
Rental: $2.99 (SD) | $3.99 (HD)
Buy: $9.99 (SD) | $12.99 – $14.99 (HD)