CAO makes up a section within the mega-structure that is General Cigar Company’s booth. For 2017, General stripped things down and offered an open and streamlined presentation. Instead of showcasing every cigar in CAO’s ever-growing arsenal, they simply focused on what’s new/hot: Amazon Basin. CAO showcased a simplified backdrop with Amazon graphics that highlighted the full Amazon Trilogy (Amazon Basin, Fuma Em Corda, and Amazon Anaconda), as well as a presentation shelf that displayed open boxes of the latest Amazon Anaconda cigars.
Amazon Anaconda is the third and final blend in the fan-favorite Amazon Trilogy. The cigars began with Amazon Basin in 2014, which incorporated a unique, indigenous, Brazilian tobacco known as “Bragança.” Amazon Basin was then re-released in 2016, paving the way for a trilogy. The second blend in the series was announced in June, 2017, with CAO showcasing a different Brazilian/Amazonian tobacco known as “Fuma Em Corda.” And only one month later, the series met its conclusion with Amazon Anaconda, displayed at IPCPR 2017.
Amazon Anaconda is said to bring a balance between the first two releases, offering the sweetness found on the original Amazon Basin and the spiciness from Fuma Em Corda. The blend utilizes both tobaccos highlighted in the first two cigar releases, as well as an additional Brazilian leaf used for the wrapper. This Brazilian Bahiano Habano leaf uses a ligero priming and is said to “ensure that the true rich and robust flavors of the Bahiano tobacco came through.”
- Wrapper: Brazilian Bahiano Habano
- Binder: Nicaraguan
- Filler: Brazilian (Bragança | Fuma Em Corda) | Colombian | Dominican
- Factory: Honduran American Tabaco S.A. (Honduras)
- Production: Limited Edition (10,000 boxes)
- Packaging: 20-ct box
- Vitola: 6″ × 52 Toro
- Price: $10.49 (MSRP)
- Release: Late August, 2017
- Similar to the other releases in the series, Amazon Anaconda is intended to be sold at brick & mortar locations (although Fuma Em Corda included a size that was sold online).
- Amazon Anaconda sold out to retailers on the second day of the show (quoted at 9,500 – 10,000 boxes).
- Rick Rodriguez stated that there will be one more ultra-small-batch release of the original Amazon Basin blend that will hit the market in November of this year.