Following last week’s announcement of a new distribution network—The Forged Cigar Company—from Scandinavian Tobacco Group, the company has announced El Rey del Mundo as its first brand under the Forged umbrella.
El Rey del Mundo is not new to the market, however, as it has been an exclusive offering from Santa Clara Wholesale (and, subsequently, JR Cigar) for over two decades.
A similar strategy has been seen from STG in recent years, taking the Diesel brand—once exclusive to Cigars International—under the General Cigar umbrella in 2017.
As The Forged Cigar Company is geared toward brick and mortar stores, the company will be offering El Rey del Mundo exclusively through these channels, starting in Feb. 2021. The cigars remain unchanged, though, and will continue to be rolled at Scandinavian’s HATSA factory in Honduras. This includes a natural (Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper) and maduro (Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper) variant, with both featuring Honduran-grown binder and fillers.
The company is launching the cigars based on the best-selling blends/sizes, which means five maduro cigars and one natural:
- Café au Lait: 4½” x 36 | $4.80 (SRP) | 24-count boxes
- Café Noir OSC: 4½” x 35 | $4.80 (SRP) | 24-count boxes
- Robusto OSC: 5” x 54 | $5.40 (SRP) | 20-count boxes
- Robusto Larga OSC: 6” x 54 | $5.80 (SRP) | 20-count boxes
- Robusto Supremo OSC: 7¼” x 54 | $6.80 (SRP) | 20-count boxes
- Ronco OSC: 6” x 60 | $7.00 (SRP) | 20-count boxes