Over the weekend, Drew Estate announced that Pappy Van Winkle “Tradition” cigars had shipped and began arriving at Drew Diplomat retailers across the country.
The announcement came the morning of Drew Estate’s annual Kentucky Barn Smoker, where the company often showcases new products to consumers, such as Kentucky Fire Cured, Pappy Van Winkle Barrel Fermented, and Kentucky Fire Cured Swamp Thang.
Pappy Van Winkle “Tradition” is the second blend made by Drew Estate in collaboration with the Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery and the Van Winkle family’s Pappy & Co. brand, which offers Pappy-branded merchandise, including cigars made by Drew Estate. Pappy Van Winkle “Tradition” was first announced at IPCPR 2016, but details were held back for another year, with the cigars making their formal debut at IPCPR 2017.
Pappy Van Winkle “Tradition” uses a more traditional blend, as compared to the Pappy Van Winkle Barrel Fermented. The blend is said to be among the original three created by Willy Herrera for Drew Estate in 2010 (with another of these three later becoming Herrera Estelí).
Unlike Pappy Van Winkle Barrel Fermented—which is crafted in very small batches and sold exclusively on the Pappy & Co. website—Pappy Van Winkle “Tradition” is being offered nationwide at appointed Drew Diplomat retailers. The cigar’s release coincides with “National Pappy Day,” with October 1st marking the start of bourbon season, where distilleries often introduce their finest/most rare selections (with Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve bourbon leading the pack).
Click images below for full resolution
Pappy Van Winkle “Tradition” Breakdown
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Oscuro
- Binder: Indonesia
- Filler: Nicaragua | Dominican Republic
- Factory: La Gran Fabrica Drew Estate (Nicaragua)
- Production: Limited (Drew Diplomat Exclusive)
- Packaging: 10-ct boxes
- Vitolas: 7
- Price: $14.60 – $24.60
- Release: October, 2017
- Coronita: 4″ x 46 | $14.60 (MSRP) $146.00/10ct Box
- Robusto Grande: 5½” x 54 | $21.60 (MSRP) $216.00/10ct Box
- Toro: 6″ x 50 | $23.60 (MSRP) $236.00/10ct Box
- Belicoso Fino: 5″ x 50 | $24.60 (MSRP) $246.00/10ct Box
- Churchill: 7″ x 48 | $23.60 (MSRP) $236.00/10ct Box (Exclusively available at Drew Diplomat Spirits Retailers)
- Lonsdale: 6½” x 44 (Not for Sale) 10ct Box (Exclusively at Drew Diplomat Rewards Events in October, November and December 2017)
- Corona: 5½” x 44 MSRP (Not for Sale) 10ct Box (Exclusively available from Jonathan Drew and Julian Van Winkle)